The USA is a modern country, with strong values and a strong sense of national pride. It is currently a world-leader in technology and business, and has some the oldest and most established universities in the world.

There are over 5,500 universities in the US, averaging at around 115 per state, so with this much choice you are bound to find an institution to suit you.

Graduate programs in the US fall into three main categories:

Academic MastersProfessional MastersDoctoral/PhDs

Professional, or ‘terminal’, masters are designed to lead to employment rather than further study. Popular courses include: Master of Business Administration (M.B.A) and Master of Library Science (M.L.S.).

Academic masters, however, are generally designed to lead the way into doctorate/PhD study. Popular courses include: Master of Education (M.Ed.), and Master of Engineering (M.Eng.).Both last between one and three years, depending on the subject.

Doctoral degrees are the most advanced level of higher education, and usually take between four and eight years to complete, which includes the time it takes to write and present a dissertation.

But, before moving on, you need to demonstrate that you have adequate study abroad travel insurance, which you must buy before you travel.

Most schools require qualifications comparable to a U.S. Bachelor’s (Honours) degree (Four Year Degree Program). That means a minimum of 16 years of formal education. In the Indian context, it implies qualifying in a professional four-year degree like engineering or other such courses

For Doctorate programs, most universities require a Master’s degree in that subject. In a few exceptional cases like a good undergraduate engineering degree, they may offer a direct admission to a Doctorate course.

If you have completed a three-year degree program in India, the advisable plan of action to maximize eligibility for U.S. graduate schools is to apply for a Post Graduate degree here in India. A one-year university affiliated program will make up for the fourth year of a U.S. Undergraduate degree.

Many Courses and Universities in US require you to take one of the standardized tests like GRE, GMAT along with English Proficiency tests like TOEFL, TWE and TSE.


TOEFL: This test is mandatory for International students applying to a Graduate course or University in US. The minimum score required by most universities for admission is 570 (Paper-based test) and 230 (Computer-based test).

TSE: This test is important if you intend to apply for a Teaching Assistantship. Though many universities don’t mention it, but it is advisable to take this test if you are looking for a Teaching Assistantship.


Different programs require you to take certain standardized tests for admission and there is a certain minimum that you have to score in those tests to get admitted to those universities:

The various tests are:

GMAT : For Graduate Courses in Management.GRE : For Graduate Courses in fields other than Management.LSAT : For Admissions to Law Schools.USMLE: For Admission to Medical Colleges.