Singapore’s experience and its current efforts to improve the quality of teaching and learning do have important, if ironic, implications for systems that hope to its success.

It may be small, but in the realms of higher education and research, Singapore is a big hitter.


The type of host institution you’ll study at depends on both your area of study and the qualification you’d like to be awarded.


Polytechnic institutions such as Nanyang Polytechnic provide training for specific skills directly geared towards the workplace. Programmes offered are practice-oriented, and are available at diploma and degree levels.


In the 34 universities in Singapore, six of which are national, two feature in the 2013/14 QS World University Rankings. Both of these, the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University, are ranked within the top 50 in the world, offering courses in wide range of subjects to their student populations of over 30,000 each.


A typical Bachelors Degree in Singapore is about three-four years in duration for full time students. Students are able to undertake studies both in general areas, i.e. Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS), or more programmes with a more specific focus within those fields such as a Bachelor of Science (Business Analytics). Students undertaking programmes of study in general fields will have to select an area they will specialise in within that field.


Students may complete postgraduate study programmes at both Masters and Doctorate levels, across all areas of general study. A typical Masters degree for a full-time student is one-two years in length, whilst a PhD may take between two-five years to complete. Specific requirements, course and credit options for postgraduate programmes varies between institutions more significantly than undergraduate studies, and should always be researched thoroughly and confirmed directly with host and home departments.


Any International student wishing to pursue full-time studies in Singapore in an institution that is registered with the Ministry of Education (MOE); or has obtained approval from the Commissioner, ICA to accept international student, is required to apply for a Student's Pass.

The following persons are exempted from applying for a Student's Pass:

The following persons are exempted from applying for a Student's Pass:

Dependant Pass holders studying in Government, Government-aidedIndependent, Kindergartens or Foreign System SchoolsImmigration Exemption Order holders

Student pass holders are strictly not allowed to engage in any form of employment, business profession or occupation, whether paid or unpaid. This is unless they have the consent in writing of the Director of Immigration. Violators will be prosecuted by law.


You should take with you the following documents in order to apply for a student visa

1. 2 copies of form 16, V103, form V39S and form V39Q must be duly completed and signed by the applicant, local sponsor and school at the relevant sections. (The first set of forms must be original. The second set may be photocopies of the original set).

2. 2 recent passport-sized photographs (color/black & white) must be pasted on the top right-hand corner of Form 16.

3. The original and a photo copy of the applicant's official birth certificate.

4. A photocopy of the applicant's travel document pages showing his/her full particulars and travel document date of expiry if he/she is not in Singapore.

5. The local sponsor's identity card

6. An original copy of a letter of acceptance from the school addressed to the ICA , that was issued not more than 1 month from the date of submitting the application for a student pass.