More than 150,000 international students choose to study on graduate programs in Canada each year, looking to take advantage of the country’s reputation for high quality teaching and reasonable tuition costs.

Higher education in Canada is run by individual provinces and territories and in most cases to gain university status an institution needs to be a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC). Universities are mainly funded by provincial and territorial governments, the rest of the funding coming from federal government, tuition fees and research grants.

Graduate programs in the UK fall into three main categories:

The amount of funding that universities receive varies widely. Universities in Quebec receive the most funding and have the lowest tuition fees, while institutions in Atlantic Canada generally have the least funding.

Graduate programs in Canada fall into two main categories:

Masters degrees Doctoral degrees

Masters programs in Canada are offered in many different fields with two main types of course – academic and professional.

Doctoral degrees in Canada are the highest level and require students to produce an original piece of research. Unlike other countries such as the UK, doctoral students in Canada are still expected to complete coursework and written examinations rather than just focussing on their research.

Masters programs in Canada generally last between 1-2 years, with PhD programs lasting longer than in other countries coming in at between 4 and 7 years to complete.

You can get yourself easily in Universities of Canada by taking the exams like TOEFL and GMAT.

However the cut off marks of these examinations varies according to the stream. Below are some cut off marks for Post-Graduation in different streams.

Business: TOEFL: PBT: 580-600 min. CBT: 237-250 min.Computers: TOEFL: PBT: 580-600 min. CBT: 237-250 min.Engineering: TOEFL: PBT: 580-600 min. CBT: 237-250 min.Fine Arts: TOEFL: PBT: 580-600 min. CBT: 237-250 min.Media/Communication: TOEFL : PBT: 600 min. CBT: 250 min.

Most foreign nationals will need a study permit to study on a graduate course in Canada and others may need to apply for temporary residence in Canada. Generally people taking a postgraduate course in Canada that lasts less than six months will not be required to gain a student visa. Regardless of whether or not you need a permit everyone must demonstrate:

Acceptance from a university or educational institution in Canada.Ability to pay tuition fees, living expenses and return fares to their home country.Satisfy health requirements

It is normally also necessary to demonstrate that you have adequate study abroad travel insurance, which you must buy before you travel.

Living in Canada is in many respects the same as living in other Western countries, with a very high standard of living. Canada is considered a quite liberal and multi-cultural country.